Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Contact


"Earth to Britten. Come in Britten."

Yes, I know....it does seem as though I have fallen off of it, but my world is full of measurements and rah-rah's right now so I have sadly had to stay away from Blogland, but this news has caused me to come back into orbit for awhile and spread this amazing word!

FOUND, A PLANET LIKE EARTH

Yes, folks. That of which we LDS people have always said is true is now in the process of being discovered by scientists.

It's about time.

It is known for the time being as Gliese 581c, is about 1 1/2 the size of our planet and has all the right conditions thus far in the research to contain liquid water on the surface and possible rock formations. And where there is water, there may very well be life.

Here are some quotes from the aritcle I thought were particularily interesting:

"Just because Gliese 581c is habitable does not mean that it is inhabited, but we do know its sun is an ancient star - in fact, it is one of the oldest stars in the galaxy, and extremely stable. If there is life, it has had many billions of years to evolve."

Sweet! Bring 'em on!

"The fact that almost as soon as we have built a telescope capable of detecting small, earth-like worlds, one turns up right on our cosmic doorstep, shows that statistically, there are probably billions of earths out there."


Hmmm, you don't say?


"Interestingly, Gliese 581c is so close to the Earth that if its putative inhabitants only had our level of technology, they could - just about - pick up some of our radio signals, such as the most powerful military transmitters. Quite what would happen if we for our part did receive a signal is unclear.
"There is a protocol, buried away in the United Nations," says Dr Shostak. "The President would be told first, after the signal was confirmed by other observatories. But we couldn't keep such a discovery secret."
It may be some time before we detect any such signals, but it is just possible that today we are closer than ever to finding life in the stars."

Beam me up, Scotty!


How much you want me to bet those scientists they won't find aliens with extra-long limbs and bug eyes?

Oh! Maybe this earth will be in it's own dinosaur age or maybe it will be in it's own age that our planet has never gone through....maybe it will represent the state of our planet thousands of years from now! Oh, the possibilities!

You can check out the whole article here . It's sooooo interesting!

I'm telling you, these scientists, although brilliant, are far behind truth, but they're getting there.

And I just heard this - correct me if I'm wrong, that they have just come to believe that the Mayan Ruins were actually built by a people that settled there before the Mayans. Hmmm....now who could that be?

duh.

But I like us Mormons, we just sit back and say, "Um yeah....old news."


Time for me to once again go to light speed.

Mission: Broadway Cheer. And I will see you all back here in a few millenia.

Maybe I should have been an astrobiologist....

Over and Out,

-Britten







Posted by Picasa
<

3 comments:

breena rae said...

ah, Britten-witten...glad to see another blog...I didn't read it yet because I am about to become "milk-bar" woman again and I am not able to physically read yet due to lack of sleep...so, just want to say I love you and I really love being a mommy! I can't wait for you to meet our litte cute head!

Oh, and happy birthday tomorrow...I'll call you, too.

:)

Jessica said...

So cool!! I love this stuff...sometimes I think I should have been some kind of scientist...except that I can't do math. Very cool. Happy birthday!!

Jessica said...

Oh where, Oh where has my Britten-witten gone...oh where, oh where can she be.....