Friday, March 04, 2005

You May Have Seen Him Hanging Around in a Theater Near You...


Episode III Teaser Poster

Here is an excerpt from a post I did on theforce.net about my first time seeing this...

Small vignette, non-fiction entitled:

AnakinsLuv (my user name over there) Goes to the Movies

So we took the whole family to go see The Incredibles last night (Yes, I know, it's about time). You know what that means ...

First of all, we walk into Edwards Theater and guess what is hanging from the second floor balcony in the foyer for all to see, front and center like it should be, right there before us with piercing eyes looking back at me? THE TEASER BANNER!!!!

one word: GLORIOUS!!!! I could hear the angles singing the "Halleluiah" chorus ringing in my head!!

I didn't know it would be so HUGE!!! I think it's bigger than the Ep II banner. Staring up at it....I just felt so proud! So proud to be a fan, and a Defender at that! Somehow, I felt that I was a part of it, like part of it belonged to me, almost as if Anakin was looking at me as if I know a great secret most of the world does not... As fans of the saga, this is our moment to shine!!!

So then we are sitting there waiting for the teaser trailer and I'm hoping and praying that it will still be playing with this particular showing. I was getting all giddy and nervous...the butterflies were a'fluttering! I really didn't think that I would get all worked up like that, I mean, if I was like this for just the teaser trailer, I'm going to be a FREAK OF NATURE before the actual movie starts!!

Then it appeared in the darkness of the theater...

WOW!!! I've probably seen it, oh, I've lost count - something like 50 times now, but watching it on a big screen with high-definition is like seeing it for the first time again!! I couldn't believe it!! It just came to life and jumped off the screen!! And there were things I noticed that I hadn't before - not even after watching it frame by frame. Some of the little clips of scenes seemed to last just a bit longer...it was weird!! I noticed a lot more sound effects too, like Obi-Wan gagging when Anakin is choking him and then there might have been a little grunt from Anakin too, I'm not sure.

Anyway....whole new experience!! I really felt it was like watching the movie itself in the theater (only a little bit shorter )...it was just so big and life-like and detailed!! If you haven't seen it on the big screen yet, ya gotta try it!! Believe me, it's worth the 8-9 bucks, cuz hey, The Incredibles is really a great movie! My whole family loved it...my daughter wants to be Violet and my son, who loves to run and run and run, wants to be Dash...so cute !

By the reaction of the audience, you could tell most people had seen the trailer by now, but there WAS still a definite "buzz" after it was over and then there was this one girl who was cheering loudly...oh, wait, that was me .

So then we're walking out of the theater and my kids want to stop and "pretend" they are playing video games (they are still too young) so my hubby stays with them and I wander over to the teaser poster again and stand beneath it, so that I'm right in the middle...

so there's lil' ol' me down on the floor looking up at HUGE Anakin in this GIGANTIC theater foyer...there's not a whole lotta people around since it's getting late...and I'm entranced...

I just stood, and stood, and stood for what seemed like forever, gazing up at "Darth Anakin"...the banner is just so much better in real life!! One might have thought I was looking up at the Statue of Liberty or something!! I DID almost feel like saluting!! But I just stood there and breathed and soaked it all in....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! God Bless America!!!

Finally, I felt the call of duty, so I tore myself away to return to my kids and a husband who was just smiling and shaking his head...he understands my indulgence, but also thinks I'm a little coo-coo !

Then as we walked across the foyer to exit the theater on the other side, I keep looking back at Anakin and I notice something...his eyes are moving with me!!! It's so cool, you gotta try this!! I mean, I know this is just true for many big posters/banners with a huge face on the front, it's just the illusion they create, but it just caught me off guard cuz I hadn't noticed it from just looking at it on the computer screen.

Yep. Followed me all the way out the door. It was creepy!! It was like Anakin was saying in a hushed, haunting voice, "Come ba-ack...don't forget to bring your 'Death Certificate'!" (You know, just like that creepy little woman at the end of the Haunted House ride at Disneyland) I can still feel his stare...still hear that voice in my head...

The End.

Just thought I would share that little experience....

In this EpIII teaser poster you can actually see not one, but 3 different images of the Darth Vader helmet...can you see them?

Lots of SW fans think this poster is very symbolic. The darkness of the cape is overwhelming the picture and Anakin is only in the corner, part of his face even cut out. This hints at the inevitable doom that awaits Anakin...the darkness is taking over everything - his mind, his life, his future, the galaxy.

-Britten

No comments: