
For the past few weeks I've been listening to a new album entitled "Speak For Yourself" by Imogen Heap. Cool name, huh? I love her voice - at first I couldn't make out whether the songs on this album were sung by a male or female until I did further research, the only thing I knew is that I loved the music this artist made and I knew I had heard it before...
...It's the voice that pulls on the edges of the mind to just "Let Go" during the unforgetable theatrical trailer to Garden State, or the voice that brings back memories of the eighties in the remake of the classic "Holding Out For A Hero" during the end credits to Shrek 2, and it's the ethereal nightengalic strains in the song "Can't Take It In" which is heard as the door to the wardrobe is reopened at the end of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe calling for us to engage in another adventure. "It can not be any more beautiful". You can hear samples of her stuff at iTunes. She's also the music and voice behind the album Details by Frou Frou. Imogen likes to harmonize with her own voice much like my beloved Tori. Her music is considered electro pop and she's proud to say that she's a "nerd who sits for hours trying out new things on her synthesizer". I totally did this when I was like 13 or something and I would still be doing it if I could find my ol' synth...must be in a box somewhere.
*Runs off to dig in the garage*
But really...there's something very catchy about her melodies and beats and sometimes the lyrics seem out of place with the music, but that's part of why I like her. Listen to a couple of her songs on Pandora and see what I mean. You'll be boppin' down the street before you know it!
-Britten











22 comments:
After "Let Go" from the Garden State trailer...I was hooked. There is beauty in the breakdown...so many meanings to this for me.
So does that mean that you discovered more of her music after you were hooked on "Let Go"?
Where have I been...
Yep...many meanings for me too. ;)
okay...do i need this CD Britten???
Actually I only have one cd with a few songs on it that I think I downloaded...I need some more!!
By the way...I listened to Legend all day today in the car. LOVE it! It is especially good to have "To believe in the good in man..." repeated at me over and over while I spend the day in traffic and in the County courthouse.
Kim and Jess - sounds like I need to be making you a CD :)
Jess - Courthouse? I'm so glad you like Legend!!! That's another one you need, Kim...
Ummm, someone else needs cd's and I think her name is Sarah. I wasn't familiar with her, but remember loving all the above referenced music. And Frou Frou.
Is her music going to be on the next addition og Eternal Moments brought to us by Britten? Thanks for the Frou Frou CD, Britten. I was it all the time in dance class. We're in Gloria Estefan mode at our place. I made a cd for Mitch's b-day of Gloria's all time hits. She really does make you want to get up and dance with "turn the beat around" and "1-2-3-4 come on baby say you love me..." That's not the real title but, you know. I think I want to make up a dance to "Beauty in the Breakdown". That's one that makes me want to dance, too...just in a different way than Gloria.
So what do you know about the movie "mirrormask?" I just bought myself a christmas present...(hee hee) a 3 dvd jim hensen set including Labryinth, the dark crystal and mirrormask. It looks cool, but I don't know if I've ever seen it.
Okay....Sarah gets put on the list :)
Mirrormask? Wow! Sounds promising. I've never even heard of it! Weird...
Breena - Eternal Moments 2 is almost done. There are a few more songs I need to fit in to the repetoire, but yes, Imogen is on there.
Okay... Mirrormask:
The story of Helena, a 15 year old girl working for her family circus, who wishes-quite ironically-that she could run away from the circus and join real life. But such is not to be the case, as she finds herself on a strange journey into the dark lands, a fantastic landscape filled with giants, monkeybirds and dangerous sphinxes. Helena searches for the Mirrormask, an object of enourmous power that is her only hope of escaping the Dark Lands, waking the Queen of Light and returning home.
From the creators of Labyrinth and dark crystal...
"If the wizard of Oz was reborn in the 21st century, it might look a lot like Mirrormask"
"Eye-scotching screen candy...a gourgous fantasy flick..."
I guess it was released in sep 2005, won a few things at some film festivals and got pretty good reviews. I don't know why I never heard of it! I may have to break it out tonight and watch it.
The offical movie website (pretty cool)is:
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/mirrormask/
ohhh i need music, too. i am trying to figure out what the heck kind of music i want to take to the hospital for when I go to my 'special place' during labor...but i don't have any of this wonderful music you all are speaking of. Please share the wealth.
So I watched Mirrormask.
I can't give it too detailed of a crtic here since I was really tired and sick with this nasty chest cold and couldn't sleep so it was the middle of the night...but eye-scorching screen candy? Yes!! It was beatutiful and there is this one part (very legendish) where Helena is sort of "brainwashed" to the dark side and there is this remake of "Close to You" by the carpenters and it is so cool. You can tell it is the same creators of Labyrinth because of the similar themes between mother and daughter etc. Overall...definatly see it! It is British and so has a different feel, but I love the accents. Watch it and let me know what you think!
Oh...and for Nina and everyone else...good mood music that really evokes emotion (good ones) and might be good for a "happy place" is the soundtrack to Rudy. It can almost make Ryan cry...and that means a lot! We were listening to it the other day and I had forgotten how good it was.
hmmm, Rudy. have to listen to that one. Oh, we watched Far and Away with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman (their glory days) and I forgot how awesome that music is, too! It brought back great feelings of colorgaurd...I don't know why, though. Britten, did you ever do a field show to that music?
oh, their is a cd i will need to burn for you, britten. peggi has a cd of celtic lullabys. some of the songs are boring (well, to me...you know, i'm a mix of melancholy and well, mom) but the last few songs are beautiful...and huh, music while you're in labor? never thought about it. is that like a must in labor? i think i would need jock jams so i would get really pumped to push and try harder!
This place is like the new message board! I love it!!
Yes, CDs for all, Christina...maybe when I'm in Vegas...
Jess - maybe you can bring it with you to Vegas?? The movie?
Breena - Yes, Far and Away was part of field show in the fall of '91. First time I did rifle. Gosh I'm old.
Mood music is good for labor, but I never think to bring it with me. When you are in that much pain, silence is the way for me!
Hmmm...soundtrack to Rudy. Think I might need that. Jess, want to trade?
That's it. Everybody come on over to my blog for the partaes!
Yes to all!
This must be the "cool" blog...I think a will leave another message just to be cool...but I will log on as anonymous and no one will know it's me...HAHAHA! (evil laugh)
-beans :)
Wow, this must be the cool place to be! I need music too!
I love love love eternal moments, Britten you are gifted--please don't forget that old people need great music too and right now I can't find any of my fav CD's...did someone perhaps borrow my Josh Grobans?
Jess bring that movie to Henderson for sure and then all you others come on over for a lovely movie night. I'll make brownies.
and she makes some wicked brownies, people. so rich you can only eat them with ice cream or milk.
yum, brownies sound good right now...hmmm, we do have a mix...but, too much work, must go to bed before the craving takes over!!!
Post a Comment