It's raining as I write this. I meant to post this picture last summer, but never got around to it. It's of my porch garden, which was so lush and beautiful this summer. We had vines and flowers everywhere. It could have been in Better Homes and Gardens on a good day ("good day" meaning I finally got out there and cleaned up the toys and junk and swept, and perhaps killed some of the many black widows that are secretly mounting an army so that they can take us by surprise one day.)Last night I was surveying the damage the recent freeze did to my plants. It's not looking pretty, people. I'm hoping some are only playing dead. Can plants do that? Do they perhaps go into self-induced comas to avoid further damage from the nights upon nights of frost? If not, I will be pretty devastated. Come Spring, one will be able to find me sitting next to the Tea Roses, rubbing a crispy leaf and trying to coax it out of it's slumber. Then come Summer, one will be able to find me sitting next to the Geraniums, rubbing another cripsy leaf and trying to coax it out of it's slumber. Then fall will come and one will be able to find me sitting next to the Bougainvillea rubbing a black, crispy leaf and trying to coax it out of its slumber.
Then mom will come over and say, "I'm sorry, dear....they are not coming back." Then she will pull the plugs and they will all become one sad pile of dirt in the trash can. More money gone down tubes in hopes of a glorious garden. This is going to suck.
But at least I have my pictures...and the memories....
-Britten











5 comments:
So pretty. I do NOT have a green thumb...wish I did. I need someone to help arrange a pretty porch garden like that. Hint hint. Come visit me! I am still planning on April though. Don't really know how I;m going to pull it off, but where there is a will there's a way...right?!
Whats happening in April? And it is beautiful Britten. I'm sure some of it will survive.
Hye, are you going to Utah in April, Britten? You are suppose to be coming to Virginia! Remember us way out here on the other side of the country? Ya, your garden was beautiful. Too bad it can't always stay that way. You know, those Better Homes and Gardens can reallt trick your eye. They can do wonders in pictures. Maybe they are all fooling us.
um, i'm with sarah, what's going on in april? Can I come?
Shhh. It's a secret.
Post a Comment